Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Prelude to My Trip to Vietnam

In 1974 I was born in Saigon, Vietnam, before the city was renamed to Ho Chi Minh. Seven months later my family fled to the Philippines to a refugee camp then on to US to settle outside of Washington, DC. My father was a retired Colonel of the US Army, born in Puerto Rico with Basque parents, and an employee of the US embassy in Saigon. This made him able to relatively easily evacuate our family and relatives from the Cong. My mother was working at the Embassy where she met my father. Her family was from North Vietnam. She went to school in Saigon at the only "Finishing School", which was closed by the Communist in 1975.

When I was 2 years old, my father was diagnosed with ALS or better known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, and the disease of which Stephen Hawking suffers. Two years later he passed away, leaving me and his adopted four children to my mother. The four kids are my mothers children from her first marriage, and to me they are my three brothers and my sister. We grew up Vietnamese but spoke broken English at home. Leaving me looking ever so slightly different than my Vietnamese family. My other Vietnamese relatives and family friends would say strange things to me over the years like:

"Oh, you so big!" - referring to by bone structure, height, and perhaps booty (depending on what age we are talking about here folks).
"Diep Waaaaaaaah!" - That's phonetic Vietnamese. Which I always thought meant, "Jesus Christ!" or something of the like, since every time I heard it there were big eyes and a loud "Waaaaaaaah!" at the end. I'll tell you the true meaning in a couple of paragraphs :)
"You not Vietnamese!" - Um, yeah. Just because I don't speak your language doesn't mean my heritage isn't Vietnamese. I just can't wait to meet more Basque people and see what they have to say.
"You no speak Vietnamese? Ooooooh." - Oh boy.

At any rate, this trip to Vietnam was my first return to the Mother Land. So why not go with my mother? I did.
That is, with her and my good old friend TRoam from DC. Lucky for me, TRoam is super laid-back, friendly, fun, and fluent in Vietnamese. Yippee! More cheers for more friends, Yippee! Cause DingDong & Cakes came too! Hurray! Dinger & Cakes were only there for the first 4 days but it was hellah fun. Did I say, "hella"? Oi. It's Team Vietnam, The Mental Midget Parade (definition comes later).

I cheer for the Team as they helped me cope with my mother on the trip. She's Asian and a Mom, that makes her special and especially hard to cope with for 2 weeks. Those that have an Asian Mom know what I'm talking about, everyone else either have read Joy Luck Club or should.

Moving on... We toured Hanoi, Halong Bay, Saigon, Nga Trang, and Dalat. I'll have an entry for each and the 'interesting' Saigon Tourist tour bus ride. Interesting... Diep Waaaaaaaaaah!
Ok, "Diep Waaaaaaah!" does not mean "Oh good Lordee". It means "She so cute!" Really I'm not narcissistic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, nike roshe run, louboutin pas cher, tiffany and co, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, louboutin outlet, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, longchamp pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, air max, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors, louis vuitton, prada handbags, longchamp, nike free, chanel handbags, sac longchamp, burberry, louis vuitton, nike air max, gucci outlet, nike outlet, louboutin, ugg boots, nike air max, replica watches, air jordan pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses

Anonymous said...

jimmy choo shoes, converse outlet, north face outlet, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, nike air max, ralph lauren, mcm handbags, oakley, hollister, lululemon, mont blanc, valentino shoes, vans shoes, vans, abercrombie and fitch, nike huarache, new balance, hollister, bottega veneta, nike trainers, birkin bag, celine handbags, ghd, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, instyler, timberland boots, beats by dre, nfl jerseys, converse, reebok shoes, nike roshe, hollister, ferragamo shoes, p90x workout, gucci, louboutin, north face outlet, iphone cases, babyliss, chi flat iron, baseball bats, longchamp, ray ban, nike air max, herve leger, mac cosmetics

Anonymous said...

moncler, moncler outlet, links of london, bottes ugg, moncler, moncler, doudoune canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler, pandora charms, pandora charms, replica watches, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, lancel, canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, swarovski, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, wedding dresses, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, hollister, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, canada goose, moncler, karen millen, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, coach outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet

Unknown said...

http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-12.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-8.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-5.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-6.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-7.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-9.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-10.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-store-companies-11.html

deraz said...

ابو الهول
سباك بالشارقة
اعمال سباكة وصحى بالشارقة